Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Saturday Night Banquet / Silent Auction

The Saturday evening banquet is the climax of the convention.  Attendees were encouraged to dress in pink and black and do their best to embody the "Paris Chic" theme.  Here is a group photo of the happy "chic" group.  The People's Choice Awards from the competition held earlier in the day were also announced.  The Popular Choice Grand Prize went to Diana Lax, for her entry, "The Wedding Party."  The Popular Special Awards went to Beverly Micucci for her entry, "Cabinet of Curiosities" and to Diana Lax for her entry, "Voyage Around the World." 
The drawings for the raffle items with the most tickets were held on Saturday evening.  Here we see Karen Coker with David Wolfe.  Karen was the lucky raffle winner of some of David's original artwork for his Grease paper doll book.  Thanks David and congrats to Karen!

Our youngest attendee, Elizabeth Esque, granddaughter of convention attendee Marveen Vimislik, did the honor of drawing the names for the raffle items Saturday night.  Everyone enjoyed having this young paper doll collector making her way through the convention.  We're glad that Grandma is bringing her up right!  



One of my daughter's friends is a fashion journalist.  He advised me on my Paris Chic get up.  I found this old black dress in the attic.  It was long so I took a pair of scissors and cut it off to the above-knee length (no time to hem!).  I found the shoes way in the back in my closet.  I had forgotten I even owned them.  The purse was a bag that some sample makeup came in.  And when I researched "Paris Chic," oversized square sunglasses kept coming up.  Even though it was inside and in the evening, I thought the sunglasses would be fun.   Here I am with Garth Lax, who was my mentor and guided me through the running of the competition.  I couldn't have done it without him.  Thanks, Garth!

Of course I had to have my traditional Saturday night banquet photo taken with Ron Fong, looking dashing as always in his pink shirt.  Just for the record, my husband was wearing a pink shirt the first time he asked me for a date, back in 1975!!


Sondra Leeds was the lucky winner of the dress-a-doll.  The doll was designed by Eileen Rudisill Miller.  Lori Lawson was in charge of the gathering the costumes from the participating attendees and designing the display.  All participants names were put in a raffle and Sondra's name was pulled!!

Saturday evening ended with the Silent Auction.  David Wolfe was in charge of this event.  Paper doll artists were asked to donate some of their original artwork and then attendees could bid on their favorites. Here you can see some original Tom Tierney artwork, donated by his niece Kathy O' Tierney.  I believe that the lucky winner was Marilyn Brooks.  I assume she had a special connection to Tom, since they were both Texas residents.  Congrats to Marilyn and all other winners in the Silent Auction, and thanks to David for organizing another fun event!



No comments:

Post a Comment